Stuck at home with time on your hands? Now is the perfect time to tackle your first risotto - no more excuses that you just can't take all day stirring the pot so your rice won't stick. Plus, grocery stores ARE open, so you can snag supplies.
Steve Kinsley shares this perfect (and easy) recipe passed down from his father, Skip Kinsley.
EASY...YET DELISH...RISOTTO (Serves 4)
1 C + 2 level T Risotto rice
4 ½-5 C Chicken stock, hot
1 T Olive Oil
2 Garlic through a press
1 t Lemon zest chopped very fine
¼ C White wine
3 T Red Onion Chopped medium
3 T butter
2/3 C Parmesan (fresh ground)
1 ½ t salt
1 t pepper
½ C Frozen Peas (set out to partially thaw while rice is in oven)
12 oz Medium shrimp cooked/still warm, or some other item (ie. diced chicken, your Choice)
- Heat oven to 350 deg
- Place olive oil, onion, zest in a small Dutch Oven over medium heat and saute’ until soft (~2 min.)
- Add garlic and heat for one minute more.
- Pour in rice and stir to mix. Pour 3 ½ C hot stock into pot, stir to mix, cover and place in the pre-heated 350 deg oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and test to see if rice is ‘Al Dente’.
- If rice is ready, place over med-low burner and stir in butter, Parmesan, rest of very hot stock, salt, pepper and peas.
- Stir vigorously for about 3 minutes, add warm shrimp if using and stir to mix. Serve immediately on HOT plates.
Note: if you are a Mile High (in Denver) or higher...use 4 C of hot stock and cook in the oven for 50 min (to start)